This week’s DJ spotlight is Jakob Jay, a veteran on the decks who’s played opening sets for some of the music industry’s best DJs and producers, including DJ Nina Flowers, DJ Chris Cox and DJ Joe Gauthreaux.
1. DJ Name:
DJ Jakob Jay
2. Hometown/state: Albuquerque, NM, but proud to call Portland my home for eight and half years
3. How long on the decks? 17 years
4. Your regular gigs around the city include: CC Slaughters in Portland every Tuesday and Friday night
5. Most memorable gig yet? Spinning in Vancouver, B.C., for the Vatican leather fetish party
6. How would you describe your beats? House, Tribal, Electro, Progressive and dirtayy dancin’ beats.
7. What are you listening to? Where do I begin? I listen to anything from disco, deep house, trip hop, soul and everything in between.
8. Your favorite Red Dress moment? Playing an opening set for DJ Nina Flowers under the Hawthorne Bridge at Red Dress PDX (2013)
9. What’s your favorite part of the carnival? Definitely the freak show, ’cause you know I’m a freak
10. What do you plan to bring to the party? Good vibes and lots of sexy booty shaking music
11. Your advice for Red Top partygoers: Make the most of the night cause this only happens once a year, so let’s party, ladies!